TABLE OF CONTENTS (QUICK NAVIGATION)
Chewing is an essential and natural activity for dogs. It keeps their teeth healthy and at the same time providing stimulation of the gums and exercise of the jaws.
Dogs can often pick up discarded sticks or plastic bottles to chew on, so chew toys are a necessity to make sure your dog plays safe and choosing the right chew toy for your furry friend matters.
We look at some of the safe and best chew toys for dogs to make them happy.
Quick Picks: Best Dog Chew Toys
Best Chew Toys for Aggressive Chewers
Best Chew Toys for Small Dogs
Best Chew Toys for Large Dogs
Best Dog Rope Chew Toy
**Below, you can read more of our detailed reviews for each above of the Best Dog Chew Toys. You may also click the links above to read customer reviews and see the current prices on Amazon.
Types of Chew Toys
- Rawhide – is one of the most popular choices for chew toys. Rawhide is made from the inner layer of a cow or horse and is good for cleaning teeth. It helps to keep your dog’s jaw strong and reduces the build-up of plaque and tartar. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and contain beef, chicken and liver flavorings.
- Real Bones - A dog's all time favorite. It can stimulate the saliva enzymes and typically removes food particles after eating to keep their teeth clean and healthy. Bones are fantastic source of nutrition, it provides calcium and minerals. It's best to give raw meaty bones instead of cooked bones. Cooking process make bones more brittle and more likely to splinter which can increase the chances of internal injury to your dog.
- Bully sticks – A well-loved favorite among chewers, these are great for dogs that really want to work at what they're chewing on. These natural dog treats are made from the pizzle or penis of the bull and provide a long-lasting natural source of protein for dogs.
- Himalayan Dog Chew - Made of a very hard cheese and meant to last, these are great options for cheese loving dogs. It has an all natural ingredient that is made using Yak or Cow milk. Although it is a hard snack for dogs, it has a low-odor and is free from preservatives. Most dogs will have fun worrying this chew for hours while enjoying the taste and texture.
- Rubber - These rubber toys last longer than a majority of the dog toys out there. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and can also be filled with treats, which offers the perfect distraction for you and your dog. They do cost a little more, but due to the fact that they are made from actual rubber and not nylon or plastic, they last a long time, even with avid chewers. Definitely a good option, especially for large dogs.
- Nylon - A good second choice in non-organic chew toys, it is made of durable nylon material, which is a hard substance and can last for weeks to months. It comes in different sizes and shapes and is infused with flavor and scents to keep your dogs occupied for a very long time.
- Ropes - Rope toys seem to be a staple in the dog treasure box. Either woven or knotted, ropes provide a softer alternative for dogs. Whether you want to engage in a game of tug o’ war with your pup or want an all-natural toy that will provide them hours of entertainment when you’re not around, rope toys are an excellent choice. Rope toys have one advantage over other toys: the rope aids in cleaning teeth better than other materials.
Choosing the Best Chew Toys for Dogs
There are two things to keep in mind when picking out a suitable toy for your furry companion:
1. Match the chews or toys to the dog’s mouth, teeth, and throat size
In order for a dog to safely chew on something, they need to be able to get their teeth around the object and hold it between their paws. Furthermore, they need to be able to chew on something that will not hurt their teeth or get lodged in their throats if swallowed. For large dogs, the bigger the toy, the better.
2. Think about your dog's chewing habits
For dogs that chew aggressively, it doesn’t matter if they are big or small. You should give them chews that are easily digestible since they will undoubtedly be swallowing pieces or provide them with an “indestructible” chew toy that won’t tear, fracture, or splinter. Should the toy wore out, replace or throw it away immediately.
Best Chew Toys for Aggressive Chewers
West Paw Design Zogoflex Tux Stuffable Dog Chew Toy
There are some dogs with jaws that can annihilate even the most invincible toys. You buy the said toy and watch it get destroyed within several minutes.
That's not what will happen with the West Paw Zogoflex Tux. This is one of the best dog toys for aggressive chewers and is guaranteed to outlast your dog’s chewing, or the company will replace and refund the toy.
The Tux is designed to stimulate your dog to alleviate stress, anxiety, and boredom. Plus, the treat pocket makes it all the more enticing for your dog to use. Simply stuff dried kibble or even freeze-dried goodies inside then watch your dog go crazy trying to get to the meat.
All West Paw toys are made of completely safe, non-toxic materials that are very resilient—similar to a Kong chew toy but potentially even more durable when it comes to strong jaws.
The toys are also FDA-compliant, meaning that they are safe to eat off of, and if you ever desire to replace the Tux, you can use the Zogoflex recycling program for eco-friendly disposal. For a quick wash, you can even put these toys in the dishwasher!
- Amazingly tough – even the most powerful of jaws cannot destroy this toy, making this ideal for bully breeds, Labradors, German Shepherds, and Great Pyrenees.
- Easy to clean, large cavity for stuffing some tasty treats.
- Made in USA, recyclable and dishwasher safe.
- BPA and Phthalate free, FDA compliant, and non-toxic material.
- Available in 3 high visibility colors (blue, lime green, and orange) as well as black.
- The material may attract dust and hair laying on the floor at first, so be sure to keep it clean.
- With daily use, the Zogoflex Tux will eventually begin to fall apart with some aggressive chewing (time seems to be anywhere from 6 months to a year).
- One size, not small dog-friendly.
Rocco & Roxie Nearly Indestructible Ball
Fancy a game of fetch with your feisty chewer? The Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. Nearly Indestructible Ball is as promising as the name. It's one of the best indestructible dog chew toys in the market. The company calls this ball a “Rocco proof” toy that is invincible.
The ball is also fade resistant, meaning that hours baking in the hot sun or other weather conditions will not alter the color.
This toy comes in two sizes, a 2.5” navy ball and the 4” powder blue ball, meaning both small to large dogs can enjoy this awesome toy and have an exhilarating game of fetch or catch. Both sizes also come with holes for filling the toy with nibbles.
The material is super safe and made in the USA. You will not find any BPA or Phthalates in the material. Nor is there anything toxic, such as latex or metal. Even if your dog accidentally ingests a piece of the ball, the thermoplastic elastomer will not harm them.
- Goldendoodles, Labradors, Pointers, Pit Bulls and more have all tested the Rocco & Roxie ball and wagged their tail in approval. Aggressive chewers will have a fun time attempting to damage this ball (but to no avail).
- It's nice and bouncy. High energy dogs will love getting to chase after this ball then spending hours chewing on it.
- Easy to clean.
- The ball is soft enough to play inside the house in case of wet weather.
- Lightweight for travel.
- Durability depends on the strength of jaws. Some dogs have been able to chew sections off around the hole in a period of several months.
Best Chew Toys for Small Dogs
Petstages Deer Horn Long Lasting Antler Chew
Though natural antlers are often considered one of the best “chew toys,” you are always risking splintering and splitting that can be harmful to your small dog’s mouth. Instead of putting them in potential danger, the Petstages Deer Horn Chew is a much better alternative.
You can trust the material to withstand little teeth and hours of nibbling. The multiple textures on the toy will keep your dog's teeth and gums strong and healthy.
Though the deer antler is available in several sizes, the reason this is perfect for smaller breeds is the width of the toy. The slim design is easier for them to wrap their mouths around, especially in the case of Boston Terriers and Pugs, whose mouths are not well-equipped for chewing.
Powerful Chewers, such as beagles and dachshunds, have not been able to whittle these antlers down, even after incessant chewing. However, it is recommended to supervise small dogs when playing with these kinds of toys.
- Reasonable price for a long lasting dog chews.
- Made with a mix of safe synthetic materials and all-natural antler for creating a more safer alternative to a straight bone.
- Various textures to clean and strengthen teeth and gums.
- Available In different sizes but a fantastic option for small dogs.
- Ends have a tendency to get “sharpened” after months of continuous chewing. Simply file the ends down to avoid injury.
Benebone MINI Wishbone Chew Toy
Did someone say bacon? This toy is going to drive your carnivorous companion bonkers, thanks to the bacon flavor. That’s right. The Benebone MINI Wishbone is made with only two ingredients: nylon and real bacon.
Your small dog will be entertained to chew for hours with this fascinating bone. The design is “ergonomic,” meaning that the design is perfect for small dog breeds of various jaw sizes and shapes. You will find that the curved ends allow for a satisfying chew, while the grooves keep teeth sparkling clean.
The toy is recommended for dogs 30 pounds or less. Maltipoos, Chihuahuas, terriers, Havanese and similar dog breeds will enjoy the mini size the most.
Something noteworthy about the Benebone company is that they support canine welfare by donating to various shelters throughout the USA. By buying a Benebone product, you are not only gifting your furry friend an incredible toy, but you are also aiding shelter dogs too.
- A satisfying chew for those small dog breeds that need to be constantly working on something.
- Extremely durable.
- Smells very much like bacon, as promised.
- Prompt and courteous customer service that will refund or replace your toy should it not hold up per expectations.
- Must be replaced at the first sign of wear and tear, as the edges can get sharp and shouldn’t be digested.
Best Chew Toys for Large Dogs
Nylabone Giant Original Flavored Ring Bone
A favorite amongst dog owners would be the Nylabone brand. Nylabone is a unique way of helping your dog form proper chewing habits rather than becoming destructive.
These ring bones come infused with flavors and nubs and bristles to both stimulate play and clean teeth (if you choose the textured option). The flavor will attract your dog to use the toy, and once he or she gets chewing, there will be no stopping!
All Nylabone products are made of a tough, durable nylon that resist moderate chewing. Even veterinarians recommend Nylabone to pet owners because the products are long lasting and designed for dogs who chew often.
Owners have reported that the Nylabone Giant Original Ring Bone is one of the few toys that will last up against the jaws of Labrador, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Huskies, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and even Ridgebacks have not been able to wear through this durable toy. If you are looking for a worthwhile investment in a chew toy for a large breed dog, this is a great choice.
- Safe material.
- Super resilient, even against the most against chewing and powerful jaws.
- The textured rings are perfect for cleaning teeth and gums, thanks to the nubs and bristles. Canine dentist recommended.
- Big and heavy. It makes a lot of noise if you keep repeatedly dropping and tossing it around wooden floors.
- Flavor will fade over time, causing some dogs to lose interest.
Nylabone Dura Chew Chicken Monster Bone
The second Nylabone toy on this list is another sure-fire winner in the big dog department.
Some dogs may not enjoy the ring shape of the previous example, so that is when you get them the Dura Chew Chicken Monster Bone—a mammoth-sized toy that will withstand even the most crushing of jaws of dogs 50 pounds or heavier.
The shape of the bone is perfect for dogs who love holding bones between their paws and nibbling on the ends of hours. The bone also features a unique design that is not only entertaining but will promote oral health.
Since the Dura Chew Monster Bone is constructed out of the safe, non-toxic nylon that all Nylabone products are made out of, you know you are getting a quality toy that will last for years. Even if your dog somehow manages to work grooves and dents into the material, you won’t have to worry about sharp edges.
The tasty chicken flavor will entice your dog to chew on the bone instead any other object, saving your furniture, shoes, and other fragile items around the house.
- Easy to clean – a simple rinse with water will do the trick (don’t place in the dishwasher, as this will dilute the flavor).
- Perfect size for large and x-large dog breeds with powerful jaws and large teeth.
- Great for families with more than one aggressive chewer.
- Entertains dogs that are known to get bored easily for hours.
- Keep in mind that the weight range is not an adequate estimate for sizing. These bones are huge—longer than a standard water bottle, and the heads on the bone are quite wide.
- Too big for some dogs.
Best Dog Rope Chew Toys
Mavel Rope Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
Rope toys, such as the Mavel version, are also perfect for training puppies and dogs by redirecting their destructive habit to something much more satisfying to sink their teeth into.
Rope toys are suitable for dogs of all sizes and ages. The various textures and ends are a unique experience, unlike bones and balls. The heavy-duty construction of the Mavel Rope Chew Toy is bound to hold up against active and incessant chewing for quite some time. You can even soak the toy in cool water to provide teething puppies with something soothing for their gums.
The rope is approximately 16.5 inches long, 4 inches high (the knots), and 4 inches wide.
- Perfect for tug o’ war and playtime.
- The thick rope is more durable than the standard version and will outlast puppy teething.
- Worthwhile investment, especially when seeking a toy for heavy chewers.
- As with all rope toys, the chance of fraying is high.
- Supervision is required to make sure your dog doesn’t swallow the strings.
- It might be too big for some small dog breeds.
Booda Fresh N Floss 3 Knot Tug Rope Dog Toy
Some dogs have stinky breath, and giving them a synthetically scented toy to cover that stink up isn’t going to work.
Aside from brushing their teeth, one another way is to provide a minty toy like the Booda Fresh N Floss 3 Knot Tug Rope Toy.
This is a unique idea that freshens your dog’s breath while providing a stimulating chewing adventure. The green parts of the rope are actually canine dental floss wound into the 100% cotton fibers.
Baking soda has also been infused into the toy to actively combat tartar and plaque build-up.
There are, however, downsides to having a toy that is mixed with materials like dental floss, as it cannot be washed by usual means. The end can also fray, so if you have a dog that likes shredding rope and eating it, I suggest you give a bone instead.
- A unique alternative to attempting to brush your dog’s teeth.
- Actively prevent gingivitis and other dental-related issues that can cause health problems later in life.
- Durable for active chewers and tug of war fanatics.
- Not very durable when chewed on constantly. Your dog must be supervised when playing with this toy because they shouldn’t swallow the floss.
Chewing is going to help your dog entertain himself—so spare your splinters and furniture by providing the appropriate chew toys. Remember that not all toys are going to suit your best friend. Match the toy with the size of the dog and his or her habits.
What do you think? Have you tried one of these toys before? Or do you have another recommendation that should be added to the list? We want to hear from you in the comment section below!
*Disclaimer: Our review on the best chew toys for dogs is based solely on our personal experience, research, consults with experts/veterinarians and information provided by the manufacturers. We do our best to test as many products as we can, but unfortunately, we don’t have the capacity to test them all. Kindly consider the above recommendations as our opinions. We encourage you to consult a veterinarian for advice and suggestions.